Local vets educating pet owners about cat allergiesJanuary 29, 2013
Media Outlet: The Hour Online
An indolent ulcer (also known as a rodent ulcer) in cats is often signs of an allergic reaction.
A new survey by Novartis shows the majority of cat owners are unaware of their pets’ suffering during allergy season. The survey, conducted this year with more than 1,250 pet owners in the U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Italy, and Spain shows that 44% of pet owners didn’t know pets can have allergies, even though 46% of those surveyed have allergies themselves and can sympathize with the miserable symptoms this time of year brings to both people and pets.
With that in mind, Northeast Veterinary Dermatology Specialists https://www.nevetdermatology.com/ Nina Shoulberg MS, DVM and Lauren Pinchbeck MS, DVM are educating cat owners about feline allergic dermatitis and its symptoms, which are particularly severe due to a mild Winter and early Spring. Shoulberg and Pinchbeck say:
• Allergic dermatitis is among the top 10 reasons that pet owners take their cat to their veterinarian.
• It MAY BE caused by hypersensitivity to environmental allergens such as house dust mites, pollen and mold, parasites, fleas or food allergens.
• Cats with allergic dermatitis are itchy but unlike dogs, it can be harder to identify if a cat is itching.
• Cats itching can be shown as frequent licking, chewing and sometimes scratching.
• Cats are more likely to hide and find a quiet place to try to deal with their itching.
Drs. Shoulberg and Pinchbeck say if you see any of these signs, take your cat to your family veterinarian and he/she will evaluate if you need to be referred to a veterinarian dermatologist for further diagnosis and treatment. The good news is that there’s a new tool for veterinarians to use to treat some feline allergic dermatoses called ATOPICA for Cats.
To learn more about ATOPICA for Cats, please visit http://cat.atopica.com/. For more information about Northeast Veterinary Dermatology Specialists or to schedule an appointment, please visit https://www.nevetdermatology.com/.